Thursday 10 November 2011

Linux Mint 11 LXDE



Since Ubuntu released 11.10 I gave up on the main distribution because of Unity. It might be nice for the computer novices among us but for me it's replacing the toolshed workbench for a camping table; I need a real GUI.
After bearing the pain of the dreadful KDE interface for 2 days (GUI is really okay, now get some decent font rendering!!) I switched to Xubuntu (XFCE) although Mint was already a candidate. I still like the Ubuntu distro it's only the interface that's hurting me and Mint wasn't up to 11.10 yet.

Last night I decided to boot our little netbook (Compaq 110) again and although Ubuntu Netbook Edition with (an early) Unity is working really well on this low power machine, I thought it was time for an update. Downloaded the Linux Mint 11 LXDE version, installed it and must say it's really nice and fast. LXDE stands for Lightweight X11 Desktop Enviroment.

First impressions are pretty good. Haven't tried anything special yet (Xubuntu had some solvable minor fileshare problems) but then again the netbook is primarily meant for browsing the web and play music.

Link : LXDE

Link : Linux Mint 11 LXDE

No comments:

Post a Comment